Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Faith, Prayer, and What We Get

Why a Bible discussion?

The simple explanation is that I want to grok the Bible. And since that would probably take several lifetimes I figure I'll get a few things understood while I can. I'm also a bit lazy about regular reading/studying and having people commenting on the stuff that I do research and write about should keep me on task a bit better. We'll see.

I also want to question a lot of the assumptions many people (and I myself) have about the Bible. From what I've seen people seem to join a school of thought about it and then adopt only interpretations that follow that line of thinking. I'm a firm believer in examination and inquiry. Meaning I want to understand even the things that are unquestionable, if at all possible.

While this discussion is mostly about what I want to know I'm hoping that people will comment and continue to participate, chiming in with their thoughts on what the Bible says and means. And I'm praying that the discussion will be enlightening and informative with as little drama as possible, though I'm sure there will be some. As my juggling instructor says "a drop is progress;" meaning that you're not challenging yourself if you don't make some mistakes. Hopefully my readers can be forgiving of me, as I'll try to be also. My wife just chimed in with something a friend of hers likes to say: "If you don't have a problem with the Bible you're not reading it." Let's see if we can solve some of those problems, and maybe create some more. *wink*

So, here goes the first attempt at grokking:

Faith, Prayer, and What We Get

I often hear people say that prayer works and then put some sort of qualifier on it. It usually goes something like: "You get what you ask for in prayer as long as it's part of God's plan," or "Just have faith that God will work it all out in his own way, but don't expect specific things."

I have never seen any of these qualifiers in the Bible. In fact every verse about prayer I remember reading makes it plain that you get exactly what you ask for if you have faith and/or belief. Here's the best example:
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. - Mark 11:24 (NIV)
That seems pretty clear and strait-forward to me. The above verse doesn't even say anything about faith, or God, just that you have to believe that you have received. How about this one?
"... if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." - Matthew 17:20 (NIV)
Not only does this verse say you'll get what you ask for but "nothing will be impossible for you." That seems pretty unequivocal. And I'm pretty sure moving mountains around wouldn't be considered part of God's "plan" by most people. In fact they might just lock you up if you go around moving mountains. Over and over again the Bible says we can have or do anything we can conceive of, and yet the people who profess the strongest belief in the Bible don't believe. Here are several more Bible verses.
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! - Matthew 7:7-11 (NIV)

Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! It will be done just as you believed it would." - Matthew 8:13 (NIV)

Then he touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you" -
Matthew 9:29 (NIV)

He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you. - Luke 17:6 (NIV)

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. - James 1:5 (NIV)

Now for some scriptures that might conflict with the above premise.
When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. - James 4:3
Many think of this as an argument against selfishness, but that's for another discussion. God has made it quite clear he wants us to prosper and find joy, even in this world. I think this is more likely about where that joy and prosperity comes from. The only real happiness comes from a relationship with God and if your looking for "pleasures" in what can be purchased with money you'll never really find what you're looking for. This doesn't mean we can't have anything we want and even enjoy the things of this world, the point is that if you're looking for fulfillment/happiness/purpose it only comes from one source. This world is like Jello; it tastes great, but you can't live on it. And as long as we pray for Jello we'll keep feeling like crap, and not getting what we really want.

The only reason we want anything is because we think it will make us happier. But when we realize that a connection/relationship with God will give us all the happiness we could ever want, the things of this world become trifles that God is happy to share with us.
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. - 1 John 5:14 (NIV)
Hmmm... let's keep reading.
And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. - 1 John 5:15 (NIV)
Here again is the Bible saying that we can have whatever we ask, but this time, with the caveat that what we ask for must be according to God's will. Or does it? Is the Bible saying that what we ask for must be his will, or that we have to ask in the way we are told to?

The second verse (5:15) seems to indicate that the fist verse (5:14) was talking about asking in a way that God would listen and once he's listening he will then grant us any request. So we must ask according to his will, otherwise we won't be heard and our request will go unanswered. The Bible is full of instruction on how to pray and/or commune with God to get the message through; but, in my (trying to be humble) opinion, we still haven't found a restriction on what we can ask for and even more evidence that whatever it is we ask we will receive it. Maybe the next verse will help us figure out why where not always getting what we ask for.
For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. - 1 Peter 3:10-12 (NIV)
Now many think this means that you must be some kind of perfect Christian and have all our "ducks in a row" with God before he will listen. Like having all sin confessed, devoting yourself to helping others, never having an argument, praying/studying for hours a day, never uttering an untruth, etc. If that were the case then 99.9% of the human race would be in a terrible pickle because almost no one's prayers would be answered.

I don't think these verses are trying to say that if someone does evil God will turn away from them forever unless they get things worked out, but he does turn away as the evil, or sin, is committed. We all do "evil" and we all do good, and God is listening when we are in alignment with him, or doing "good." The hint here on how to get God to listen is in the first couple of verses that tell us not to speak of (or think about) evil. How many of us discussed something that's been happening in the news lately today. We are to "seek peace" not keep up on the news if we want God to hear our prayers.

I don't consider this a complete discussion until others chime in, so please comment and let me know how you understand what the Bible says on this subject.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for your imput, I really appreciate discussions like this one. I have experienced so many different kinds of things in the past 6 years that I have been more "questioning" of the standard christian faith than ever before. God is sooo much bigger than the realm that most people put Him in. Simplistic is the description that I would give. why go an make everything so complicated. God is circumstantional, God knows your Heart, God knows what you ask for and God knows your faith.

Kathleen said...

Hmmmm,,,,fascinating topic. Prayer is our small group's course of study right now. Goad answers all prayers. Sometimes we have to accept that the answer is "no" or "not right now."

Specific prayer is a way non-believers try to show God up. Likewise, true believers (and only God knows who these are) can pray specifically because they know that God will fulfill their needs. I could pray for God to give me the body of a supermodel and wind up hitting Elle Macpherson in the crosswalk. I could ask God to help me with my self-control with food and my commitment to fitness. In turn I will learn patience because God knows none of these things come easily.

Recently I have had specific prayers answered. The needs were not met in the obvious way-like getting a check in the mail or somebody walking up and giving me $50 (That has happened to me!) but my specific needs have been met in other ways and I laugh and praise God.

Good topic. I look forward to reading more of your musings.

GrokIt said...

Thanks for posting Kathleen.

You say that "Sometimes we have to accept that the answer is "no" or "not right now." And while the evidence we see in the world would seem to indicate that you are correct, and most Christians agree, I haven't seen evidence of your argument in the Bible.

I'm looking for scriptural understanding, not the current popularly accepted belief. So, if you would, please talk about this in your small group and see if anyone else knows of scripture that indicates God doesn't always say "yes" when he hears our prayers.

Mike said...

This is a difficult and complex subject, not to mention controversial. I appreciate your desire to find scriptural answers, rather than mere man's opinion. There is so much that can be said, but I'll throw in a couple of thoughts for now.

I think you really hit the mark when you spoke of "relationship". When Jesus gave the disciples a simple outline of how to pray (Matthew 6:9-15, Luke 11:2-4, etc.), it had a lot to do with how we relate to the Father (through worship and forgiveness of our sins, as well as desiring his kingdom and will) and to others (through the forgiveness of others). I would submit that, if we are truly abiding in Christ and in the Father, perhaps more of our prayers would be answered because we would be asking "according to his will," and his ears would be "attentive to our prayer." I ain't sayin' that I'm there yet, though. I'm not even close.

We do have an example of God clearly saying "no" in 2 Corinthians 12:7-9:

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (NIV)

Graciously, his answer was given with a specific reason, one which was ultimately in Paul's best interest. That, I think, is where relationship comes into play. Paul's prayer was answered in the negative, but because he had an abiding relationship with Christ, he was given the reason why, and encouragement with how to deal with it: resting in the sufficiency of God's grace, and understanding the perfection of Christ's power through Paul's weakness.

Kathleen said...

I was just given this verse
1 John 5:14-15
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

I think the key phrase is "according to his will." If we are asking that our own will be fulfilled and it is not what God's will is for us or the ones we pray for then we can assume the answer will be no.

Luke 11:9-10 say
"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

Nowhere in the above verses does it say that we will get what we want when WE want it.

Ecclesiastes 3:11
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

This is not in our time but in the time God has designed for everything. Earlier in Eccelsiastes 3:1 we read
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven

So scripturally we understand that God answers all things asked according to HIS will and in HIS time.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

GrokIt said...

Mike and Kathleen, thanks for posting. This is the kind of debate I was looking for.

First off, I like the quote Mike used, it certainly seems like a good example of God saying "no." It's not completely clear to me that Paul's prayer wasn't answered, but it certainly wasn't answered in the way that he asked.

I would submit that he probably had a lot more peace about the "thorn" after God's answer though, and maybe he got exactly what he asked for to the level his faith would allow.

Kathleen, the first verses you share (1 John 5:14-15 and Luke 11:9-10) were addressed in my blog. I believe the quote from 1 John is quite often misunderstood. And I don't see how the verse from Luke doesn't completely support the premise of the blog. I guess you're right that it doesn't state that you'll get it when you want it, but I didn't say everything you ask for was going to come in some instant flash, just that it would come, assuming you had God's “ear.”

I wasn't sure where you were going with the Ecclesiastes 3 verses. So I tried reading them in The Message Bible. Here's what it says:

There's an opportune time to do things, a right time for everything on the earth: - Ecclesiastes 3:1 (Message)

Here you seem to be arguing the time thing again. Well 3:1 doesn't say that God has ordained a specific time for things just that there are appropriate times to do things. It would be rather useless to plant your crop in December. (Assuming you live in the north) But that doesn't mean God won't help you plant a crop. This verse also says that the timing is “on the earth” or “under heaven” which could be argued is not something God has a direct hand in because it's out of his realm.

But in the end, does it really make a difference what anyone does? I've had a good look at what God has given us to do—busywork, mostly. True, God made everything beautiful in itself and in its time—but he's left us in the dark, so we can never know what God is up to, whether he's coming or going. I've decided that there's nothing better to do than go ahead and have a good time and get the most we can out of life. That's it—eat, drink, and make the most of your job. It's God's gift. - Ecclesiastes 3:9-13 (Message)

I think we put too much importance on this life; which is understandable since it's all we know. Buy there is only one important choice to be made and the rest is just fluff. If you send your kids off to the playground do you care how many times they slide down the slide, or how long they hang on the monkey bars? Of course not, they are silly details. Of course you want them to treat others well and be safe and so on, but the only specific choice they make that's important to you is that they come home. And I believe that's what Ecclesiastes 3:9-13 is saying. You can have millions of dollars and love God, and you can live on the street and love God. He honestly doesn't care where you work and play or with whom you workand play, he just cares how you work and play.

I am writing more but felt I should make another post for that. Look for it in the near future!

GrokIt said...

Another good example I thought of that supports the idea of God granting our requests is the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32). In this story, told by Jesus, about a father who represents God and a son who represents one of us, the father (God) gives the son what he requests even though the father knows that his son will not use it wisely. And, just the asking is an insult because in those times asking for your inheritance was like saying you wished your father was dead. So, not only did the son ask for something that wasn't even his, but in doing so severely insulted his father. And what does the father (God) do? He grants the request. All that's important to the father (God) is that the son comes home; he cares very little for what was done with the money.

So, if Jesus is to be believed, God is willing to give us things that may not be good for us just for asking, and why wouldn't he? We're indestructible creations of his, made in his likeness. Do you think the Kents worried about young Clark (Superman) jumping off the roof of the barn? So, why wouldn't God give us the freedom and resources to try lots of things? We are indestructible after all. All that is important to God is that we come home.

Anonymous said...

You hold that 1 John 5:14's reference to praying "according to God's will" is not intended to mean that the thing we ask for must be in line with His will, but rather that it's the asking itself that is in accordance with His will.

Is that a good summary?

Okay, so, first, why do you think that is what 1 John 5:14 means?

Secondly, if that is so, why do you think Jesus didn't get what he asked for?

Luke 22:42 (New International Version)

42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

-j coles

GrokIt said...

That is a good summery. So here is the reason I think 1 John 5:14-15 means what I think it means.

1 John 5:14-15 (New International Version)
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

The final part of the first sentence, “he hears us,” indicates that the subject of the sentence is the “asking,” not what is being requested. Otherwise the sentence would end with “your request will be granted,” and the next verse would be unnecessary. Then, when the following verse talks about what is being prayed for and says "if he hears you," it is clearly referencing the previous verse. The verse also says, with emphasis, "whatever we ask."

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it will have to do for now.

I've forgotten the name of this argument from my Logic & Critical Thinking class 18 years ago; but if you have a single work, in this case the Bible, that states an argument several times clearly, and then there is a single ambiguous statement that may or may not support the other arguments you assume that the repeated clear argument is the meaning in the ambiguous portion. As you see in my blog there are many clear arguments for my premise.

To simplify what I'm saying. If an author of a paper says “yellow is the greatest color” four times and then says “blue and yellow are the greatest colors” once, you could take the last example as evidence that the author likes blue better than yellow because blue comes first. But because there are many other references to yellow being the greatest you have to assume that he means blue is the second greatest. The Bible has many clear statements in it about -any- request being answered (Mark 11:24, Mat 17:20, Mat 7:7-11, Luke 17:6, etc.).

Anonymous said...

Thanks... I see your argument now in your original post.

I see your point about the logic of the preponderance of the various verses on the subject. However, I've always kind of viewed it in an opposite fashion, where the 1 John statement is a later clarification of what what had always been intended in the earlier passages (that we receive the what we pray for when we pray according to his will).

Jesus may have intended this because he himself taught us to pray that God's will be done in heaven and on earth.

What do you make of the garden of Gethsemene passage?



And, then, after I read your article I was left wondering what you make of all this, practically speaking. You seem to hint at a relationship between our own obedience to God and the efficacy of our prayers, which I agree with generally (as James says in James 5:16 or Peter in 1 Peter 3:12).

Still, what to do with those instances in which someone was presumably in right standing with God and did not receive what was asked for? (Jesus in the garden, Paul's thorn in the flesh, the healing of Timothy's stomach, and the lack of an immediate healing of Epaphroditus in Eph. 2:8-9,etc..)

-Josh

GrokIt said...

The garden of Gethsemane passage will have to wait for a larger discussion. I have a lot to say on that and am planning on a blog about it in the future. Though, I will say this, that Jesus asked for the cup to be taken, yes, but then also asked that God's will be done, so he still received what he said was important in his prayer.

You make a good point about Jesus, and others, telling us to pray for God's will, but I don't think that negates my premise. The prodigal son would have been better off if he had done his father's (God's) will, certainly, and is probably what he should have done. But the father (God) still granted his request even though it went against his will for his son.

So, yes praying for God's will to be done is the best kind of prayer, but it doesn't mean God doesn't grant the prayers that don't please him.

As far as Paul, Timothy and Epaphroditus are concerned; I assume that their faith, like the rest of us, was imperfect.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating subject, and thoughtful commentary. I will have to get some scriptural references together and post some thougts.

May you never thirst

-Brian from ACF